RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) applications are made with Peppi's eRPL tool. The guidelines on this site form a detailed guide on how eRPL works.
The guidelines on this site form a detailed guide on how eRPL works.
The aim of recognition and accreditation of prior learning (RPL) is to create a flexible and motivational learning path for students and to promote the progress of studies according to the Personal Study Plan (PSP).
By recognizing, the student parses their acquired skills in relation to the learning objectives so that they can describe and demonstrate their skills.
Accreditation means formal approval of the student’s competence.
In RPL, skills may have been acquired through studies completed elsewhere prior to current studies, work experience, or leisure-related activities. In RPL the form of recognition are either replacing or including. Replacement means that the course in a student’s PSP will be replaced by another course, which has been completed elsewhere, or previously in Humak, or by acquired skills during work or leisure. If there is no corresponding course in the PSP, the course or other acquired skills will be added as such to optional studies (Inclusion).
The concept eRLP (electronic recognition and accreditation of prior learning) refers to the process where the student applies for RPL in the Peppi-system.
eRPL follows the basic pattern:
1. At the beginning of the process, the student checks their right to study and and writes down to the application the information based on a previously held guidance discussion.
2. The student adds all the places of performance where they have acquired learning to be accredited. An attachment stating previous learning acquired should always be provided.
3. The student applies for
4. The student sends the application (and completes it if the application should be sent back for complementation). The application is processed. When asked for by the handler of the application, the student is required to demonstrate their competence. The aim is to write down in one application all the prior learning the student wants to be accredited.
5. The application is processed. If needed, the student demonstrates their skills/learning according to decision of the handler of the application (see Agreement Bank).
eRPL opens from your Student’s desktop’s task bar:
Choose “New application”.
Please check that the information displayed is correct.
Enter the guidance discussion information and press the ”Save”-button (see the picture below):
The application is in DRAFT-mode until it is sent forward by pressing the ”Submit application” button.
You can continue your application later if you don’t submit it. You can also delete your application with the ”Cancel application” button (see the picture below):
At this stage you need to add all places of performance where you have gained prior learning.
Choose the venue type: Educational institute, Work Experience, or Other (e.g. leisure-related activities).
In the “Place of performance type” field, select a suitable institution type (e.g. Another UAS).
In the “Place of performance” field, if you can not find a location in the drop-down menu, tick the box “The place of performance cannot be found in the menu” and enter the name in the fields in both Finnish and English. Be meticulous with the spelling of the English name (e.g. first letters in nouns are upper case).
In the ”Name of the study” field you enter e.g. Open University Studies, Degree Program in Communication. In the “Description” field, you can write useful information for the handler.
Write down as accurately as possible in the “The competences acquired compared to the competence goals” field in order for the handler to have sufficient information to make a decision. It simplifies the process and no additions are needed (see the picture below):
Add a copy of a certificate or transcript of records as an attachment with the “Choose files” button. You can make a shared link of your verified studies (e. g. CampusOnline studies) in MyStudyinfo and then attach the shared link to your application.
Please note that an application can not be sent without an attachment.
Choose from the ”Place of performance type” field ”Informal Education (e.g. Work Experience)”.
If the option cannot be found in the drop-down menu “Employer / Other”, tick the ” The option cannot be found in the menu” and enter then the name in both Finnish and English in the fields below.
In the “Description” field, you can write useful information about your work or hobby activities for the handler.
Write down as accurately as possible in the “The competences acquired compared to the competence goals” field in order for the handler to have sufficient information to make a decision. It simplifies the process and no additions are needed.
You can add a work certificate for example with the “Choose files” button. A single attachment has a maximum size of 64 MB.
Attachments can be, for example, pdf or image files. Click the ”Save” button.
The course should be in your PSP in order for it replaced by a course completed elsewhere.
1. Click ”+Add previously completed study” button:
2. First choose the right Credit transfer type (Replacement ) and then Choose handler of the eRPL application.
3. Enter the required information in the “Add previously completed study” fields.
The scope, type, language, place and date of completion and evaluation of the previously completed study must be entered in accordance with the attached certificate. Be meticulous with the spelling of the English name (e.g. first letters in nouns are upper case).
NOTE: Please add only one place of performance even though the interface allows you to add more than one.
Write your justification in the field named “Justifications”.
4. Enter the required information in the fields under ”Studies for which accreditation is sought”.
In case you have chosen earlier the Credit transfer type option Replacement, then choose from your PSP a study-unit or studies you wish to substitute by the previously completed studies by clicking the Add button.
5. After clicking the Add button, the information will shift to the right hand side of the view (if you want to remove the study you just added, click the Remove button beside the study-unit at the right hand side of the view)
6. Finally click on the “Save” button (bottom right hand corner).
You can apply for substitution with acquired competence for which you do not have a study certificate (e.g. work experience).
1. Click ”+Add previously acquired competence” -button:
2. First choose the right Credit transfer type (Replacement) and then Choose handler of the eRPL application (your own coach).
3. Add previously acquired knowledge from Add knowledge button. Select places of performance (NOTE: please select only one place of performance) and the accomplishment date.
4. Write your justification in the field “Justifications”.
5. Enter the required information in the fields under ”Studies for which accreditation is sought”. Select from your PSP the course that you propose you have achieved the learning outcomes of.
6. After clicking the Add button, the information will shift to the right hand side of the view (if you want to remove the study you just added, click the Remove button beside the study at the right hand side of the view).
7. Finally click on the “Save” button (bottom right hand corner).
1. Click the ”+Add previously completed study” or “Add previously acquired competence” – button.
2. First choose the right Credit transfer type (Inclusion) and then Choose handler of the eRPL application (your own coach).
3. Enter the required information in the “Add previously completed study” or “Add knowledge” fields.
Write your justification in the field “Justifications”.
4. Choose the location of included studies in your PSP.
5. Finally click on the “Save” button (bottom right hand corner).
Once you have completed your application, you can view the information you have saved. If necessary, edit the information using either the “Modify” button or by clicking the Pen symbol. The “Submit application” button sends your application to the selected handler. You can track the status of your application on the Student’s Desktop in the eRPL menu.
Once you have submitted your application for processing, you can not edit it anymore. If the handler returns your application, you can edit it. Your returned application will be displayed in eRPL as shown below (the yellow square).
The accreditation part of the returned application moves into edit mode with the “Pen Modify” button. Following actions are possible:
Complete your application
Delete your added studies
Transfer your application to another handler if requested
However, your application will only be returned to your selected handler by clicking the ”Return to Processing” button.
If the application consists of several parts, please check which parts have been returned. See the picture below to find out how the information is shown. You can modify the data with the Pen icon:
Please note that the application returns to the handler only if you click the button “Return to processing” (see the picture below). Hereby you can also write a comment for the handler:
You will receive an email when your application is processed or returned for completion. You can also track the progress of your application in eRPL. You will see all of your applications in eRPL as shown below. From the name of the column, you can sort the column information either in an ascending or descending order.
When required, you will demonstrate your competence according to the handler’s decision, which you can find in the agreement bank. Please note that, with an application for accreditation with higher education studies, a decision can be made that attaching a certificate is not enough but the competence must also be demonstrated, for example in an interview.
If your application for accreditation is partially approved, the handler enters an agreement into the agreement bank. The agreement shows you what competence is approved and what competence you still need to demonstrate.
The agreement bank has ”Agreements” and ”Messages” views.
Agreements are also shown in your PSP (the tab “Messages”):
Peppi sends emails in the following stages of the eRPL process:
Crediting bank is a new function in Peppi. In Crediting bank you can search with different types of criteria what kind of previous decisions have been made earlier in eRPL. Students’ personal details are not saved in the crediting bank. Crediting bank search works only when there is enough data saved in the bank so that the privacy of decisions are maintained.
Attachment bank is a new function in Peppi. In th attachment bank there is a possibility to save eRPL attachments to a bank. Under the menu eRPL you can find the page Attachment bank. On the page you can add new attachments from th Add attachments button. If an attachment is related to some previous eRPL application, you can see small i-sign in the row. By clicking the i-sign, new window opens up where you can see more details about the application and the attachment. If an attachment is not related to any application, there is no i-sign.
In case of problems with using the system, send your message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Administrator of the page: Opintotoimisto,
Last modified: August 22, 2023