RPL – Do you have previously acquired competence?

As Humak's degree student, you are entitled to apply to have your previously acquired competence credited as part of your studies. This process is called recognition of prior learning, or RPL for short. Prior competence can be acquired through training, at work, industry positions of trust, or leisure activities. This page includes instructions on the RPL and eRPL application.

RPL instructions for students

As Humak’s degree student, you can include previously acquired competence as part of your studies. This process is known as RPL. You may have gained competence through education, work, industry positions of trust, leisure activities, or informal learning. In the RPL process, your knowledge is accepted as part of a degree, a module, or a course as compulsory, alternative, or elective. With RPL, the number of studies you have to take may be reduced and you will not have to study what you already know.

Your competences must meet the competence objectives of the degree curriculum. Therefore, carefully study the curriculum of your degree and identify your competences in relation to the learning outcomes of the modules.

The RPL procedure is illustrated in the picture below. It will help you to understand the principles of RPL, the different stages of the procedure, and the roles of the different actors involved. Please note that at the bottom of this page you will find a more detailed description of the admission rules for languages, CampusOnline.fi studies, military service, and scout training.

Click on the question marks to find out more about the contents of the picture. If you wish, you can listen to the contents of the text boxes that open with the question marks in the voice and language of your choice. If necessary, click on the full screen button below the image to see a larger version of the image. 

Instructions for the eRPL tool

RPL applications are made using the eRPL tool in Peppi. Read more here.

Admission rules for languages

Language studies can be accredited:

A) on the basis of language studies completed at other higher education institutions and universities
B) for competence acquired in non-formal education and training.

The accreditation figures for formal learning are based on the certificates issued by the educational institutions. Formal language studies may need to be supplemented by examinations and/or assignments required by the Humak professional language courses.

If a student believes that their informal language skills meet the objectives set by Humak, they can prove their language skills either by completing the Humak course assignments and course examinations or by compiling a portfolio of their previous competence. The portfolio is presented to the language teacher, who will tell the student what will be accepted. The student then applies for eRPL and addresses it to the language teacher. All eRPL applications for languages are registered by the language teacher.

A) The RPL procedure for language skills acquired in formal education and training

The following competences are accepted as a substitute for language studies included in the degree at Humak:

  1. Foreign language and second native language studies of equivalent level, content, and scope completed at another university or UAS may be accepted as such for the language skills course.
  2. A university or higher education degree in English obtained abroad may be substituted for the first foreign language (English) course (5 ECTS). 25 credits of basic studies in English philology can be substituted for the first foreign language (English) course (5 ECTS). Mastery of the language skills required for the profession is demonstrated by participation in the examinations for the course(s).
  3. 25 credits of basic studies in Nordic languages may be substituted for a second home language (5 ECTS). Professional language competence is demonstrated by participation in the course examinations; both oral and written proficiency must be demonstrated.
  4. The second national language examination/children’s state administration language examination (‘civil service examination’) for a member of the State Language Examination Board must be supplemented by the completion of the required coursework and participation in the coursework examinations; both oral and written proficiency must be demonstrated.
  5. In the case of the General Certificate of Language Competence (CCL), a foreign language or a second indigenous language at level 3 or above may be supplemented by the completion of the required coursework and participation in the course examinations. In the second indigenous language, both oral and written proficiency must be demonstrated.
  6. Language courses (in a foreign language and/or in a second national language) included in UAS degrees, university language courses and Erasmus intensive language courses as part of international exchange programmes may, at the discretion of the language teacher, be accepted as elective courses and language courses to supplement professional vocabulary, e.g. by completing coursework assignments and taking coursework examinations.
  7. The language examinations and foreign language tests (e.g. Cambridge, TOEFL) included in the VET degrees are not directly accepted as substitutes, but must be supplemented by the student’s professional language skills through the completion of coursework and participation in coursework examinations.
  8. Less common foreign language studies completed at another university or UAS may be accepted as elective studies. However, the courses to be accepted do not primarily include the basic courses in the various languages, but rather a broader range of courses (basic + advanced) is recommended.
  9. Language courses taken at a work, civic, or general education college do not count towards ECTS credits at Humak unless they are at university/UAS level.

B) The RPL procedure for language skills acquired in non-formal education and training

Demonstration of competence acquired through work or leisure activities and life experience:

  • the student completes the required coursework assignments and coursework examinations (both oral and written assignments and examinations); performance is assessed numerically (in particular second home language proficiency, both oral and written); marks are Satisfactory/Good in the second national language and Satisfactory/Good/Excellent in foreign language or
  • the student compiles a portfolio of their previous knowledge, including evidence of language skills (e.g. CV, job application(s), work certificates, texts/documents written in the language at work, etc.) and includes a self-assessment based on the European Framework of Reference for Languages (EFR) proficiency scales, the portfolio is presented orally in the language concerned and assessed numerically (in particular second language proficiency, both oral and written); the marks are Satisfactory/Good for second language proficiency, and Satisfactory/Good/Excellent for foreign language proficiency.

CampusOnline.fi studies

Your completed CampusOnline.fi studies are available to view at My Studyinfo.

In order for CampusOnline.fi studies to become part of your degree studies, you must fill out an eRPL application for studies completed at other universities of applied sciences. You can view and share your study information through My Studyinfo.

  • Go to My completed studies and click on Proceed to studies. Suomi.fi e-Identification is used for login.

  • Go to Jaa suoritustietoja. (Share study information)

  • Select the study information you wish to share and click on Jaa valitsemasi opinnot. (Share selected study information)

  • Click on Katso, miltä suoritusote näyttää selaimessa (See what the transcript looks like in a browser) and print your study transcript as a PDF document by right-clicking on the page and selecting Print. Click on Save as PDF and then Save. Select the folder in which you wish to save the file on your computer. Attach the PDF file to your eRPL application.
  • You will also need the English name of the course you have completed for your application. You can find the English course titles in this file. If you cannot find the name in English, you can contact the university of applied sciences where you completed the course. Contact information can be found on the CampusOnline website. 

More information on transferring CampusOnline study attainments can be found here



Administrator of the page:
Last modified: August 18, 2022